Rosina Lippi's Reviews > Wrongful Death

Wrongful Death by Baine Kerr

Jan 15, 10

bookshelves: best-beloved, fiction, reviewed-here
Read in June, 2002 — I own a copy, read count: 5+

Wrongful Death is different in tone from Kerr's first nove, Harmful Intent, and it took me a little longer to get into it. I had to stop myself from reading quickly and really concentrate on the first ten pages.

I have rarely invested my reading time so well. Wrongful Death is about things as diverse as personal injury law and the Bosnian war-crime tribunals, mother-daughter relationships and forensic pathology. And Kerr pulls it all together with such flair, you can only sit back in amazement and admiration.

The final section of the novel takes place in court, and I doubt anyone will ever write a better trial sequence. What is best about this novel, though, is Kerr's absolutely wonderful rendering of three very different women, each so clearly drawn and so distinct from the other that you hear their voices without trying. The next time I hear somebody claiming that men can't write women, I'll hand them this book.

Wrongful Death deals with terrible tragedy, human weakness and grief, but it is, in the end, hopeful. It's one of my top ten.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wrongful Death.