Danimal's Reviews > Slam

Slam by Nick Hornby

420574
Nov 06, 07

Recommended for: teenagers just to see what they thought
Read in November, 2007

Someone - maybe Greil Marcus? - once said something to the effect of "I'd listen to a record of Bob Dylan reading the phone book." Well, I used to feel that way about Nick Hornby. I love his writing so much that I figured I'd read his children's books, his cookbooks, his YA fiction. Well, scratch the latter, for sure.

Yes, he gets inside his teenage hero's head and he captures the way teenagers probably think. But what's the fun in that? I loved his other books because they seemed effortless as they took confused adults on paths to enlightenment. Well, it's just not as fun taking a confused teen on a path to enlightenment. It takes Hornby almost 100 pages to get going on the story, and then there's really not much story to get to. And the whole "talking to a poster of Tony Hawk" is tiresome, and the jumps into the future seem schticky.

I hope he's hard at work on some OA fiction now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slam.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (new)

Eric It was Greil Marcus, and it was "I'd listen to a record of Bob Dylan breathing hard."

I'm crawling back into my music-nerd cave now... thanks for the heads-up.

Danimal Right, right. And then after the Self Portrait record came out he corrected himself, saying, "I never said I'd listen to a record of him breathing softly."