Janet's Reviews > Sally Gets a Job

Sally Gets a Job by Stephen Huneck

Jan 11, 10

bookshelves: childrens

Decided to read these children's books after reading this Obituary note: Vermont folk artist Stephen Huneck, whose popular books about his Labrador Retrievers included Sally Goes to the Beach, Sally Goes to the Farm and Sally Gets a Job, died last Thursday. He was 60. His wife said that Huneck, who commited suicide, "was despondent after being forced to lay off employees at his Dog Mountain studio and dog chapel," the Associated Press reported (via the Times Argus).
This one begins "It's a lucky dog that has a family, and it's a lucky family that has a dog." How true. It turns out this is the best job in the world for Sally to have--taking care of her family. Beautiful woodcuts. Sad, sorry, loss.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sally Gets a Job.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Oh, Janet. This is sad. Your review is lovely. I will check out the books. I think Mick will love them. KOD

Janet Hello you! Yes, very sad, but enjoy Sally in his memory. My fave is Sally goes to the Mountains. Speaking of, will we see you and Oana soon for your 2nd annual trip to the Catskills?!

message 3: by elissa (new)

elissa So sad! But I appreciate the review.

message 4: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Yes, let's plan the 2nd annual trip. Would April work? I will def. check out the books. Sound great! Sally made me smile today, your Sally, I should clarify. She did a Facebook thing and describe us as "absolutely lovely." Can I tell you...I so needed to hear that. Give her a hug from KateBobby. xo