Laura's Reviews > Moloka'i

bookshelves: hawaii, historical-fiction, read-2011, health-issues
Recommended to Laura by: Misfit
Recommended for: Bettie, Hayes, Chrissie
Read from January 02 to 08, 2011 — I own a copy

This is the story of Rachel Kalama, a girl who got leper with 6-years old and, by consequence, was segregated from her family in O'Ahu and sent to a colony of lepers in Moloka'i. The book tells about her struggle in order to get cured from this horrible disease and have her freedom re-established.

The author wrote a very touching story with a set a very special characters such as: her father who never stop to loved her and was the only family member who often visited her in Kalaupapa; Sister Catherine who became her best friend forever; her foster mother Haleola who was a healer person living among the lepers by using natural remedies in order to try to cure them; other I prefer not to mention in order to spoil the whole story.

Some historical facts are also very well described such as the Pearl Harbor attack by the Japanese and how they were discriminated after that. The historical development of Hawaii is also mentioned in this book.

In order to avoid spoilers, I would say: you MUST read this book!!

Latest news: Hawaii's Kilauea volcano's violent eruption

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moloka'i.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit You might encourage me to check it out from the library.

Welcome home.

Susan It has been years since I read this one, but I loved it.

Laura WHAT A GREAT BOOK!! After the jet lag, I will write my review.

message 4: by Barb (new)

Barb So glad you liked this one, I have it on the pile in the bedroom. Do you think it would be good for a book club to read?

Laura Barb, I think it will be an excellent idea for a book club to read and to discuss it.

readinghearts (Lyn M) This is one of my favorite books of all time, Laura. Glad you liked it.

Laura that's why I gave 5 stars for this book, what a wonderful bool, in all senses.

Chrissie Well, after reading your review I want to give Hawaii another chance. Shark Dialogues was SO bad. It seems that in this book I will get both history and well filled out characters. I am so annoyed I chose the other book to read first.

Laura O loved Moloka'i since I've been recently in Hawaii, I was able to understand in more detail some historical details specially the ones concerning Pearl Harbor and the period after that.

readinghearts (Lyn M) His second book, Honolulu, is also really good and contains a lot of history about Hawaii.

Laura thanks Lyn, I was planning to read this book since Misfit also mentioned it.

message 12: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan Laura, I'm so excited. My book club is finally reading this for our April 2011 book. I've been wanting to read it since it came out!

Laura great Lisa, I'm pretty sure that it will be a great reading. Please tell me your feelings after reading this splendid book.

message 14: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan I will, Laura.

message 15: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Absolutely I hope to get a copy of this book. One of my fondest dream is to go to Hawaii. Maybe a book with Hawaii as setting will be a good substitute! I also love volcanoes!

message 16: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan K.D. wrote: "I hope to get a copy of this book. One of my fondest dream is to go to Hawaii. Maybe a book with Hawaii as setting will be a good substitute! I also love volcanoes!"

Well, a "leper's colony" (which thank goodness don't exist anymore) isn't the most idyllic Hawaiian setting.

Laura K.D. I just read Hawaii which gives an excellent overview on Hawaii's history. There is also another book by Brennert which seems to be quite interesting: Honolulu

Chrissie I thought I could get this as an ebook, but not in Europe!

message 19: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan Chrissie wrote: "I thought I could get this as an ebook, but not in Europe!"

So sorry, Chrissie! I hope soon they'll make it so everyone can get every book.

Chrissie It will take awhile.

message 21: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan Chrissie wrote: "It will take awhile."

Does it have to do with how long the book has been in publication? If so, maybe not too many years. I don't get it. You're still paying for the book and I'd think the publisher would get a profit. There is less cost to them because they don't have to actually make a print copy of the book. You'd think the EU and the publishers/authors/etc. could come to an acceptable agreement.

message 22: by Chrissie (last edited Mar 09, 2011 10:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chrissie Which books are available in different countries is due to the agreement set up by the publishing houses for a particular book. Less books are available in Europe. As I understand it, it is an agreement between the author and the publisher. I don't really know why the agreements have to be so restrictive. It has nothing to do with EU restrictions. It is a matter of who gets so X money. I think, but don't quote me on this! I am just learning. I will send you a PM. We shouldn't clog up Laura's review.

message 23: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan WEll, boo hiss re publishers and authors then. Why on earth don't they want European readers?!

Chrissie I said Europe is in the dark ages in some ways!

~☆ Alice8,000ft You might want to try to correct the spelling of leprosy. You have leper which is a person who has leprosy.