Dolly's Reviews > Diary of a Wimpy Kid

Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney

1019021
Mar 20, 12

bookshelves: 2012, childrens, education-school, christmas, fitness-sports, halloween, middle-grade, poetry-song-music, zoo, graphic-novels
Recommended for: children starting to read graphic novels
Read from March 18 to 19, 2012, read count: 1

This is an interesting and entertaining story that is a diary that a middle-grade boy writes about his life. It's the first book in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. Our youngest brought it home from her elementary school library, and we both read it and now her older sister is reading it, too. It was a fun, quick read, so now we'll likely continue on with the series - our youngest is already talking about borrowing the next one this week during her school library time.

The content of the story is a bit more mature than I expected from a story like this - based on the childish illustrations, I had originally thought it was written for a younger audience. Gregory is in middle school, so it's probably more suited for that grade level. Many of the children in both our girls' classes have already read it and raved about it, and I think so far the series is okay, even if our girls don't relate with the main character all that much. Some of the pranks and bullying that are described are pretty mean, but they are mostly things that pre-teen boys experience, so our girls will not likely be able to relate to them too much. I expect they will get more out of books by Judy Blume, Beverly Cleary, Lucinda Landon, Charise Mericle Harper, and Kimberly Willis Holt.

Still, I thought it was a humorous story and will likely read more of the books in this series as our girls bring them home from school. I won't encourage this series over others, but on the whole I think it's fairly harmless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

dateDown_arrow    newest »