Buggy's Reviews > Dead to the World

Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris

Feb 27, 11

bookshelves: shelf-11, vampalicious, urb-fantasy, weretastic, amnesia
Read from February 21 to 25, 2011 — I own a copy

Opening Line: "I found the note taped to my door when I got home from work."

More like a 3.5 actually…
Dead to the World is the 4th instalment from the addictive and entertaining Sookie Stackhouse series, which for the most part I’m really enjoying. This addition had a lot going for it with Harris setting up some intriguing scenarios for our returning cast of characters. And once I got past the pages of repetitive back story I was quite excited about the prospects. Unfortunately though as much as I enjoy and admire her writing I was never able to get fully engaged in this story. It could be because of the addition of even more fantastical creatures, I mean I could have done without the were-panthers theme and the coven of witches, oh and how could I forget the good fairy but hey that’s just me and my aversion to UF speaking.

On the plus side the “new” Eric was delicious on every level though it does make me wonder what Harris has against Bill. Its not that I ‘m a team Eric, team Bill type girl but why bother to introduce him as Sookie’s love just to keep sending him away every book, its just weird to me and doesn’t even allow for a good love triangle to develop.

The thing is this series is almost awesome, the writing is amazing, the world building, the action and horror aspects, the relatable, fascinating and sexy characters but I just don’t always understand Harris’s choices. A few more love scenes wouldn’t go astray either, although the one that we do get here is extra steamy. In the end I can’t seem to stop myself from continuing on with this series, Sookie feels like an old friend and I need to know where this is all going.

Its New Years eve when we first join Sookie again, she’s driving home from a busy night at Merlottes. Bill has up and left for Peru and the last thing she needs or expects to see right now is a half naked vampire running down the road. Things get even more interesting when the vamp turns out to be Eric who for some reason can’t seem to remember anything. This new kinder, gentler Eric has no clue who he is much less what’s happened to him in fact he even seems a little scared. Sookie being well Sookie takes him home of course. I mean what girl could refuse a half dressed, nervous blond Viking vampire

It soon becomes apparent that whoever took Eric’s memory also wants him dead and through a series of events Sookie gets put in charge of keeping him alive. Meanwhile her brother has gone missing and a battle is brewing (ha) between a coven of witches and the local werewolf/ shifter population. Sam, Alcide, Bubba, Chow and Pam all make appearances along with a whole new cast of interesting characters. Now all Sookie has to do is find her brother, keep Eric alive, avoid the witches, dispose of the bodies, and hold onto her heart because this new version of Eric is very hard to resist. Cheers.
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead to the World.

02/22/2011 page 63
show 1 hidden update…

Tammy Walton Grant Hallelujah, Buggy! I felt that way after about the 3rd book, now I'm just reading them all to see what she finally does with everyone.

And I LOVE Bill, so I think he's getting the shaft.

Buggy The thing is this series is almost awesome. The writing is amazing, the world building, the characters but I just don't understand Harris's choices.

I'm not a team Bill team Eric type girl but why did she introduce him as Sookies love just to send him away every book, its weird to me.

And you're right, I almost can't stop myself I need to know where this is all going. With more sex scenes and less fantastical creatures please LOL

Tammy Walton Grant Buggy wrote: "I almost can't stop myself I need to know where this is all going. With more sex scenes and less fantastical creatures please LOL"

Yes! (high fives Buggy).

Now just wait til you start watching the show ;D

Jane (PS) Sounds like its becoming a bit of a train wreck - can't help but read it even though its a bit of a shocker... And those extra creatures have to go!

Still haven't read Club Dead yet...

message 5: by Buggy (last edited Feb 27, 2011 03:30PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Buggy Hey Jane No it wasn't necessarily a train wreck, you might even enjoy it. (If I remember right you really liked one of the ones I didn't) I just kind of glazed over with all the witches and magic and shifters aspect.

Jane (PS) Well - hoping to read Club Dead this coming month. Got to get through our set of 7 eventually!!

Buggy Yeah I have the box set of 7 to get through as well

AlbertaJenn Seven is a good number to stop at IMHO. They go downhill from there.

Jane (PS) Good to know! I don't plan to go past that book :)

Buggy me either