Buggy's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Aug 13, 2010

bookshelves: shelf-10, war, romance, end-of-days, ya
Read from March 08 to 12, 2010 — I own a copy

THE HUNGER GAMES is a fantastic, breathless and somewhat brutal read that once you start you simply can’t put down again. Initially I had no idea what this book was about or what to expect in terms of YA writing, it had just been recommended to me by so many people and had such a buzz surrounding it that I had to find out for myself why. Well let me say I was not disappointed and have now joined the legions of Suzanne Collins fans in awaiting her next instalment.

Written along the lines of Stephen King’s The Long Walk or Orwell’s 1984 (I may be aging myself here) this story still feels very original and sucked me in completely with its modern day Survivor-esque retelling. The Hunger Games is the ultimate in reality TV, suspense, scripted realism, romance and survival that you should not miss.

Set in a post apocalyptic future (although we frustratingly never learn the why's, how’s or even when of this future.) This new communist-type America known as Panem has been divided into a Capital and its 12 districts. We follow 16 year old Katniss as she struggles to keep her starving family alive, hunting and gathering with her best friend Gale. Unbeknownst to her these are valuable skills as the annual hunger games are about to begin.

Each year these games require two children from each district who are chosen based on a lottery system for compulsory participation. These televised games are then broadcast throughout Panem (with mandatory viewing) as the 24 contestants fight each other to the death, leaving just one victor at its violent conclusion. It’s kind of like Survivor but instead of being voted off the island you have to kill your competitors. When Katniss’s younger sister is chosen as the female contestant from their district Katniss volunteers to take her place. Then together with Peeta the other lottery winner they travel to the capital and begin preparations for the opening ceremonies and ultimately their death in The Hunger Games.

Oddly this has been written without paragraph breaks and I have to admit the first part of it dragged for me, as Katniss is groomed, clothed, and schooled by her entourage within the capital. However as soon as the games begin, lookout! By this point in the story you have become attached to several key characters and its then that you realize things can’t end well as there will be only one winner. Over a period of about 2 weeks and against overwhelming odds we watch 24 victims dwindle as they struggle to survive. Simultaneously avoiding and hunting each other they form alliances, face hunger and mind numbing thirst, mutant animal attacks, friendship, love and ultimately a distrust of everyone as Big Brother raises the stakes to keep the audience interested.

This is an exciting book that will keep you up late into the night and resonate with you long after you’ve finished. Cheers

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

03/08 page 2
0.53% "Lets see what all the fuss is about?" 17 comments
03/09 page 85
22.73% "A warning bell goes off in my head. Don't be so stupid. Peeta is planning how to kill you, he is luring you in to make you easy prey."
03/10 page 135
36.1% "And with a decleration of love... Part Two "let the games begin""
03/10 page 135
36.1% "And with a declaration of love Part Two "Let the games begin"... This can't end well."
03/12 page 308
82.35% "Part 3 Victor. Wow, Having trouble putting this down now, very exciting."
03/12 page 308
82.35% "Part 3-Victor. Wow, I'm having trouble putting this down now, very exciting although I wish they hadn't changed the rules."
02/17 marked as: read

message 1: by Rossy (new) - added it

Rossy Fantastic review, J!

Buggy Thanks so much Rossy

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review!

Buggy Thanks so much Eyre

Zeek frakkin luv this book1 Catching Fire is in my book bag for the weekend! :)

message 6: by Buggy (last edited Nov 15, 2010 10:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Buggy You haven't read it yet? I was surprised because I didn't think Collins would be able to generate the same excitement again, but wow did she ever.

message 7: by Zeek (last edited Jul 23, 2010 04:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek I actually STILL haven't read it. sigh. (TO be fair I havent been reading much of anything lately.) I go thru lulls like that, but soon enough I'll get my reading mojo back on.

Actually since Mockingjay is soon out, I'm kinda glad I waited, now I can read that right after Catching Fire! :P

Eastofoz Great review Buggy :) I've been avoiding this one forever because it's YA which I don't really read but I'll be picking it up now :D

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Excellent review, Buggy. I want to read it, but I'm afraid, since I didn't like The Long Walk very much at all.

message 10: by Buggy (last edited Aug 25, 2010 06:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Buggy Thanks so much Eastofoz and Lady Danielle. I'm not really one for reading the YA stuff but this was different and completely sucked me in. One of those books that has you gasping and saying "No way!"

Lady Danielle I really liked the Long Walk so maybe this wouldn't be the book for you?? There is a love triangle here though and its not quite so dark as King's work.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Well that helps that it's not as dark as the King story. Thanks for your help, Buggy.

message 12: by Mariah (new) - added it

Mariah Maadarani I agree, once I read your review I bought the book and my being and adventure lover; really enjoyed the context and characters. If you like the hunger games I'm positive you would enjoy the series "Gone". All the best luck!

Buggy Thanks Mariah, I'm looking into Gonenow. Do you mean this one by Michael Grant?

message 14: by Mel (new) - added it

Mel Buggy, I saw this book in a listopia about Greek/Roman Mythology (references). Is there something about it in the book? I need it for a challenge :)

Buggy Hey Mel, I would have to say no. I can't think of any reason why this would be on a Greek/Roman list unless someone wants Hunger Games on every Listopia list.

You've probably already read the The Darkest Night Lords of the Underworld series, true?

message 16: by Zeek (last edited Feb 20, 2011 01:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek Kenyon's Dark Hunters have alotta mythology characters in it- especially later on down the line when the dream hunters join in... but I'm with Buggy and cant think why The Hunger Games would be on the list!

message 17: by Mel (new) - added it

Mel Thanks girls. I don't like Showalter and I hate Kenyon, but thanks for the tips :)
Found myself another book: Achilles:A Love Story: A Novel of the Trojan War.

message 18: by kzzz (new) - rated it 1 star

kzzz Hunger Games struck me as very depressing. Could not finish it !

Alpinepath I like this review!

Buggy Thanks so much Alpinepath :)

Katrine Great review, I think i'll read this book. It sounds very good.

Buggy Thanks Katrine, I think you'll like it. Can't wait for the upcoming movie, it looks GOOOD

message 23: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie Love your review and I have a lot of good things about this book I think I might read it before the movie comes out.

Buggy Thanks Mackenzie, I always like to read the book before the movie too, then I can compare and complain when they change things. Can't wait to see this.

message 25: by Lulu (new) - added it

Lulu You are everywhere I see!! I swear lol. Was this book overrated? I feel like it's the only book everyone is reading these past few days.

message 26: by Buggy (last edited Jan 24, 2012 07:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Buggy I would say this book became trendy but no, its not overrated. Its a really good read. Exciting, thought provoking, with a unique story and a love triangle too

message 27: by Lulu (new) - added it

Lulu Okay great. Thanks for your insight. For one of my classes the teacher went around and asked everyone what they read latest and I'd have to say mostly everyone answered this book lol

Buggy Its also popular because the movie is coming out soon

message 29: by Lulu (new) - added it

Lulu I'm sure that's why. I know the movie is based on the book so I figured everyone wants to read the book before the film!

message 30: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Great review Buggy!

Another one, that I need to read. *rolls eyes*

I might just need to give up on "real life" for a while if I have to get through my TBR! *sigh*

message 31: by Buggy (last edited Feb 01, 2012 08:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Buggy LOL Wendy I hear you! My TBR is ridiculous, I figured out that I have enough books right now for 3 years of reading without buying another (but of course I still do)

This is a good one though, one of those that you have to read

message 32: by Wendy (last edited Feb 01, 2012 08:32PM) (new)

Wendy LOL, 3 years of reading?! I'm hearing you.

Oh alrighty, I will read...only because you said so, hehe. ;)

Buggy Besides the movie is coming out soon

message 34: by Wendy (new)

Wendy I know. Maybe I should just watch the movie? Nah, they never tell the full story sometimes.

message 35: by Buggy (last edited Feb 01, 2012 08:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Buggy I always read the book first, then I can tear apart the movie for things they change or leave out ;)

message 36: by Wendy (new)

Wendy So true, Buggy. ;)

message 37: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Great review, Buggy. Mel - I realize you asked the question about Greek/Roman Mythology references a year ago, but I thought I would add my thoughts anyway. Suzanne Collins has said that she came up with the idea for the Hunger Games in part from the concept of the Minotaur in Roman mythology. Also, she draws a lot of names and concepts in the books from ancient Rome. Panem, for example. But there are quite a few once you start looking for them.

Buggy Thanks so much Emma :) I had no idea about the Roman mythology aspect, very interesting. It will be fun to read this again using that aspect.

message 39: by Lulu (new) - added it

Lulu What did you think of the movie?

Buggy In all honesty I wasn't a huge fan of the movie, i thought it was just okay and much prefered the book.

message 41: by Lulu (new) - added it

Lulu Okay I'll prob give the book a shot. I saw the movie but just thought it was slightly overrated.

Matthew Gobin I agree. This book was fantastic. I personally connected with Peeta and Katniss' love even though I knew it was fake. The book literally had me on the edge my bed while I was reading it. Suzanne Collins really proves to be an author that's here to stay with this book. I was impressed with how vividly and effortlessly she proved her points and made statements. The character developement is also insane and the "Capitol" shows that she can shape her characters around the environment and vice versa. This was a great read and I could recommend it to anyone. The only problem I had was that it was not long enough.

message 43: by Trey (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trey Starks I agree! It was a great novel with a captivating storyline. And like usual< the movie wasn't NEAR as good as the book.

Buggy The movie never seems to live up to the book does it! :)

message 45: by Arfa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arfa Saleem i agree.

message 46: by Arfa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arfa Saleem Buggy wrote: "The movie never seems to live up to the book does it! :)"

no, it never does....

Jaida The best book ever

Jaida Hey buggy did you ever go to bible camp?????

Ceri M Steer-tintin im so in love with it. is it wrong:??

Ceri M Steer-tintin how dare you say that anyway.