Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)'s Reviews > Daughter Of The Empire

Daughter Of The Empire by Raymond E. Feist

Jan 19, 10

bookshelves: read-2010
Read in January, 2010

You know, I promised myself that my next review would be kinder, to prove to Shayne that I'm not completely heartless... but then this book blew me away anyway! So I'll have to change my promise to be that the next book that I really don't find interesting will still earn a fairer review. That's probably a better promise.

This was excellent. The oriental influences on this are probably what made me love it so much. The only slight disappointment would be that there was a lot of talk of the cho-ja only for them to fade into almost non-existence for the majority of the book, it seemed a little odd. A random few lines of how Mara was sitting with them here or there would have made a lot of difference… but enough about that, onto the good stuff!

I loved Mara’s mind, how she made everything possible. The repetitive mention of the birds at sunset were lovely, and the description in this novel can’t be matched. Some may not like the often mentioned descriptions of bathing or dressing or iced fruits, but that’s how Federal Japan was like in those days – these activities took up much of ones time, especially when they were female, a Lady of the House or not. It’s a very complicated world where honour and tradition govern nearly every movement and yet they pull it off masterfully.
Politics were strong in this book, which is Wurt’s strength I’ve been told, but it was easy to understand and follow even for someone who has no knowledge of how such things work. It was also good that they were careful to show Mara’s determination to carry out a plot but then also feel regret for it also. It was believable. All too often do you read how someone is able to do something seemingly without a shred of conscience… they didn’t make that mistake here.
Although the characters were many they were easy to keep track of, even though there were so many different families. By the end you really feel for the characters, and when certain events happen you can’t help but read on faster to find out what happens next.

I’ll expand this review once I have the time, this will be something I need to tell Sentient all about this.

All in all, it really is excellent.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter Of The Empire.

01/12/2010 page 146