Amie's Reviews > I Lost My Love in Baghdad: A Modern War Story

I Lost My Love in Baghdad by Michael Hastings

Jan 21, 11

Read from January 14 to 21, 2011

The title is really just the hook to get you in. I'd say only 25% of it is dedicated to the autobiographical love story of Andi and Michael, the rest is about Middle Eastern politics, how Michael became a reporter, life in Baghdad, and all the many horrible things he saw while over in Iraq.

I was a little disappointed at first to realize that this was just another war book, cleverly disguised as a romance of sorts, but once I got past that, I decided to keep reading to gain a better education (at least one view's worth) of life in the middle of a war zone.

It was hard to read, but I'm glad I did. (Actually I listened to it on CD, read by Michael Hastings himself) It gave me a better appreciation for our soldiers, for the oh-so-NOT-black-and-white situations associated with the current war, and just how awesome our own country is.

Caution: the F-word is Michael's favorite. He uses it quite liberally, especially the chapter in which Andi dies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Lost My Love in Baghdad.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leaner (last edited Jan 12, 2010 03:26PM) (new)

Leaner I wrote something then actually read the synopsis. Nope, not one I will read... ever.

Amie I totally get that!