Sarah Maddaford's Reviews > Linger

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

Oct 26, 10

bookshelves: temple, fantasy, modern, romance, sci-fi, were-animals, young-adult, need-to-read-something-else-first
Read from October 22 to 26, 2010

It was really hard to get into this at first. Sam and Grace are both pretty strictly romance characters (only without the maturity that adult romance characters can choose to show). Fortunately, as the story goes on the characters start to behave more realistically. I can't believe that it took so long for her parents to notice especially when they weren't certain that they liked Sam. There's some kissing and touching as well as a bit of violence and language, pretty much the same level as the first book. I really had high hopes that more would be done about pack dynamics or the mechanisms of the shifting, but it wasn't really a focus until the end and I still had more questions than answers. I think I understood too much of Cole's attitude though I don't think I would ever take the opportunity like he did and I definitely would never drag someone else with me. Also, I have absolutely no sympathy for Grace's parents at any point in the book. If my parents had pretty much forced me to raise myself and then expected things of me, I think I would have done more yelling than she did. Of course, Isabel's parents aren't any better and in fact her father is something of a monster if you ask me. He hunts but he's not really a hunter because he doesn't follow the rules and regulations when they don't suit him and he seems to genuinely hate the animals he takes down. I can understand being angry at the wolves and even hating them, but to go so far as to shoot at them when they aren't hurting anyone is just awful. Of course there has to be a sequel to this book because of the way it ends. I'll probably pick it up, but I'm still not happy that so many of my problems with the first book persisted in this one. I guess it hits the target audience though.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Linger.