Emma Louise's Reviews > If There Be Thorns

Sep 28, 10

bookshelves: bought
Read from September 20 to 28, 2010

** spoiler alert ** -Review has spoilers-

Let's be frank; it wasn't great. Of course nothing will ever be as perfect as Flowers in the Attic, back when the characters were solid, the storyline was well thought out and it ended in such a way that if there were no sequels, it would have been fine. Petals on the Wind was an epically long soap opera which annoyed me because it would draw out annoying and boring things like Cathy and her ballet, and yet she would be pregnant, have a child, and someone would die in the matter of pages. But this is something else.

1. Why is it narrated by Bart and Jory if for most of the time they have to sneak around and listen in on their parents in order for Cathy and Chris to get some dialogue. Doesn't that just scream unbeneficial?

2. I hated that little scumbag Bart. What kind of nine/ten year old walks around with a pocket knife, quote passages from the bible and wishing revenge upon his parents for their sin? I'm sorry but I didn't believe Bart's character at all.

3. Cathy is freakin' stupid if she didn't realise until the end that the woman next door was her mother.

The good points... not many. I generally hated the storyline. Cathy proved to be even more self-centred and stupid. They had no idea how to handle Bart at all, and thought sending him to a psychiatrist would be an easy fix without bothering to even try and understand what the problem is.

But the good: Jory was a reasonably likeable character if not a little cliche. Introducing Cindy into the story to make Bart jealous was a good plot device but not used to its full potential. and Corrine died. I'm glad she died. I still hated her even when she was whining and trying to redeem herself.

And so to sum this up; the worst of the series so far. Really I don't know why I bothered reading on if Flowers in the Attic was such a masterpiece but none of the sequels are done right.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If There Be Thorns.

09/20/2010 page 22
6.0% "I forget what happened in Petals on the Wind but knowing VC Andrews cliche style she'll rehash it for me one way or another."
09/21/2010 page 28
7.0% "No book seems to be able to hold my interest lately. I blame the lack of nightly baths. Most of my reading gets done in there."
09/25/2010 page 130
34.0% "Feels likea soap opera... although most of her books do. My comment is pretty much invalid now haha."
09/26/2010 page 150
39.0% "why didn't Bart just die? his self centred whining is giving me the shits. what an ungrateful little turd"
09/26/2010 page 231
60.0% "Die you silly boy die! I have never disliked a child character before. But this ten yr old is completely bonkers and selfish. And cathy and Chris seem to care on the face of it but don't actually DO anything, really. Cathy is as self centered as her wacko son."
show 1 hidden update…