Trisha's Reviews > The Drawing of the Three

The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King

Jan 26, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, epic, reviewed
Read from January 18 to 26, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I just want to put something in here to express how enthralled I am by this book! More so than the first book definitely, although that was intriguing (and bewildering) in itself. Still, this book is totally action packed from the get go. I'm only partway through of course but I am eager to keep reading!

I'll put in a proper review when I'm done.

****

Okay, I've finished this book and I have to say I did not want to put it down until I was done. The characters are absolutely fascinating. You just have to wonder where Stephen King comes up with such figments of his imagination. Odetta/Detta is a perfect, wondrous example, the legless lady with two faces (metaphorically) who are so foreign to each other. I really like the person they merge into (but that is for my review of book 3!).

It was fascinating reading about Roland inhabiting the body of the monstrous Jack Mort, how a person can faint even when they're just "ka" (i.e. their mind, not their body). The image in my head of Roland transforming the chubby yuppy guy Mort into a gunslinger simply by taking over his body was an enthralling one.

I found the whole cop/Roland/Mort sequence highly entertaining, and it seemed to have elements of slapstick humour to it, even though the whole story is far from slapstick.

I think this book was a lot more gripping and enthralling than book 1, even though I did enjoy the first book very much.

I have already started reading book 3, too!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Drawing of the Three.

01/20/2010 page 168