Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance's Reviews > The How of Happiness: A Scientific Approach to Getting the Life You Want

The How of Happiness by Sonja Lyubomirsky

Jan 17, 10

bookshelves: happiness, quest, spirituality, surprise
Read in January, 2010

Here they are, the twelve hows:

1. Expressing gratitude
9. Savoring life’s joys
10. Committing to your goals
11. Practicing religion and spirituality
12. Taking care of your body

Happiness is my focus this year. I feel quite certain I will come back to this book and this list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The How of Happiness.

message 1: by Judy (new)

Judy please, I'm begging you, no more tantalizing suggestions!
How to reconcile my TBR-stacks-reduction resolution with these great suggestions I'm writing down on my wishlists!
The delicious, ongoing dilemma...
Happy 2010!

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance Judy, Repeat after me: I am a grownup. I do not have to read every book I acquire. It's okay to give away books (okay, to give away a lot of books). Reduce your TBR by giving away, even without reading. It's okay. :-)

And almost everything I'm reading is from the library. I do not know how long I've been waiting for this book....I know it was on my wishlist for months and months before I finally found it at the public library.

I am really enjoying How of Happiness. I'm making notes for myself as I read. I'm practicing some of her ideas. I can feel myself getting happier.

I definitely do not want you to become UNHAPPIER because of wanting to obtain more books about how to become HAPPIER. ;->

message 3: by Divya (new) - added it

Divya Patwari Debb, I love your reviews on books! Please suggest me some refreshing book on Happiness? Lately I read The Geography of Bliss By Eric Weiner. It is my prized possession off late.

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance Divya wrote: "Debb, I love your reviews on books! Please suggest me some refreshing book on Happiness? Lately I read The Geography of Bliss By Eric Weiner. It is my prized possession off late."

You could not have asked me a question that would make me...well, happier! :-).

I like The Happiness Project a lot. The author spends a year trying to be happier. And she does become happier. The author has spent a lot of time researching happiness and it shows in this carefully thought-out and readable book.

For a more intellectual look at happiness, I like Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi (isn't that a name?) It is surprisingly readable, too. There are also other books I've liked by Martin Seligman.

If you have any suggestions for me, please send them along! Happiness intrigues me.

message 5: by Divya (new) - added it

Divya Patwari Thank you so much! :)

message 6: by Divya (new) - added it

Divya Patwari I will definitely let you know about any other interesting reads on happiness. Apart from Happiness, I just finished Eric Weiner's Man Seeks God. It is a wonderful read, if one is interested in the whole religion-spirituality genre. And Eric Weiner's writing is so edifying, humorous and honest.

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance I will look for that one! Thanks.