Cara's Reviews > The Red Necklace

The Red Necklace by Sally Gardner

May 09, 14

bookshelves: 2010, fantasy, historical-fiction, male-protagonist, recommended-to-me
Recommended to Cara by: Ginny
Read from February 15 to March 04, 2010

Magic and historical fiction! I was sold from the beginning. You don't see that too often and I picked up the book with eager hands.

Yann is a gypsy boy who can throw his voice, read minds and sometimes even see into the future. On one fateful night he loses his gift, but not before he meets the limp but beautiful Sido. They don't know it yet, but they will see each other again and have much more impact on each other than they could imagine.

The plot is shrouded with mystery and hidden secrets. Magic in the book was handled well and it's especially interesting to see the take on gypsy magic. We don't see it often in books and it gives the book more realism, if that makes sense. The backdrop of the French Revolution progresses throughout the book and we see just how out of touch the wealthy were. Something that we even see today I think. Revolution is in the air though and Yann and Sido just like everyone else will fall into the conflict.

I am very picky about my villains. Usually I don't find them evil enough or kind of dim-witted. Not the case with Count Kallioviski. He is the epitome of what a villain should be. He has no mercy but you see his vulnerability and his motives. Most of all he is a worthy opponent for our protagonists.

Yann and Sido are fragile youths when the book begins, but when the book ends they become strong young adults. Thankfully their adventure is not quite over and I will be begging my library to get its sequel The Silver Blade.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Necklace.

02/16/2010 page 95
25.27% 2 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sonia (new) - added it

Sonia Being a historial fiction with magic, sounds like a book I'd like! Among all the supernatural power, I like mind reading(, as well as time travelling,) the best. Can't wait to read this book! :-D

Cara I hope you do love it! Hmm.. time travel, I think I've read a couple of those. I'll recommend you any that I think were good;)

message 3: by Sonia (new) - added it

Sonia Thank you Cara! :-D Which theme do you like particularly?

Cara Oh there a LOADS of things I like. I love reading young adult contemporary, fanstasy, dystopia and the list goes on. I do have a soft spot for stories that concentrate on the sibiling relationship though.

message 5: by Sonia (new) - added it

Sonia I'll keep that in mind and recommend some to you when I read one of those provided that you haven't. :-D I love fantasy and dystopia as well!

Cara Haha thanks Sonia;)