RYCJ's Reviews > Colored People

Colored People by Henry Louis Gates Jr.

Jan 11, 10

Loved Mr. Gate's word choice. So prominently square, yet eloquently fashionable. Almost started this pitch off naming him Sir Gates, following the way he tells on `Colored People' in rather ascot form. Informing some, and reminding others, he graduates us on an annotated history of Piedmont, (a place I'd never heard of), on out to population count and who lived where, did what, and how so, to soufflé us on `prime time' history and familial dealings.

My biggest peeve was wishing Mr. Gates had not changed suits so abruptly and frequently. For instance, he spent a good minute on good hair/bad hair and complexion, but wouldn't treat the `one time when this or that happened' to the same good minute. Dang it! I wanted the longer versions about his parents and the Gates' and Coleman, and even a little more about him, before moving on to the next `prime time' sport.

I really had to get used to that aspect of the storytelling, though too, which I now adore, I love the fact that I can pick up Colored People any time and start reading any section, over and over! Certainly very well done. It's raw and real. A Must, Must Read now sitting on my keeper shelf!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Colored People.