Judi's Reviews > Slow Heat

Slow Heat by Jill Shalvis

Feb 14, 10

bookshelves: sports-theme, feb-2010, contemporary-romance
Read on February 13, 2010

A good barometer for me about whether a book is good or not is the amount of time it takes for me to finish. Now this comes with a caveat: 1. I like the book so much I finish it in one day and 2. I finish the book so fast that I am sad when it’s over so I don’t want to finish it so fast. So what’s a reader to do?

Slow Heat took me a day to finish so to say I enjoyed the book is an understatement. Now I do admit to being partial to a sports-themed contemporary romance, but seriously this book hit a home run out of the park for me right from the first chapter.

Shalvis starts each chapter with a baseball quote and chapter one’s quote had me smiling. Confucius say: “Baseball wrong - man with four balls cannot walk.”

This is the second book in the Pacific Heat baseball series (Double Play was book one), and although it is not necessary to read the first book, Wade and Sam do make their debut in the first book, so it helps.

Major League Baseball bad boy, catcher for the Santa Barbara Heat, Wade O’Reily is a player on and off the field. He’s had some bad press lately and the Heat's owners want him to clean up his act - Now!

Heat publicist Samantha McNead is great at her job, a true professional and she would be willing to do just about anything for the team she loves. So the wheels are set in motion as Sam and the sexy catcher agree to a scheme requiring them to play pretend boyfriend/girlfriend for a month. The game plan is to get him some positive press, to appease the team owners by toning down his playboy image.

It’s not exactly going to be a hardship for Sam cozying up to the sexy-as-sin Wade and they do have a past including a drunken tryst in an elevator, something Sam’s head wants to forget, but her body remembers all to vividly. This pretend relationship is strictly for show because first and foremost Wade is a player, who has no interest in the long-term and Sam realistically knows they have no future, but the heart wants what the heart wants.

The story is full of witty dialogue and sexual innuendo and the chemistry between Wade and Sam is off the charts. Wade is yummy, sexy and scrumptious and so cute you can’t help but fall in love with him. Turns out Sam couldn’t help herself either.

Slow Heat will not disappoint and my only complaint was that the ending came waaaaay to soon. I needed more!

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slow Heat.

02/13/2010 page 1
0.32% "God I'm only on pg1 and already love it! Confucius say: "Baseball wrong - man with four balls cannot walk" LOL"
02/13/2010 page 33
10.48% ""Don't kill him, honey. Do him." (Holly to Sam about Wade)"

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Auntee Great review--I liked this one too!