Amy Gilchrist Thorne's Reviews > Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests

Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests by Steve Freeman

Jul 01, 10

bookshelves: own, part-read, nonfiction, tech
Read in March, 2010

I think there's a lot of food for thought in this book. Personally, I can remember reading Martin Fowler's Mocks Aren't Stubs some time ago and concluding that I'd be a "classicist."

Some time later, I started working with mocks as a way to isolate unit tests from "slow" dependencies, such as databases, trying to make them run more quickly. I didn't have much success, though, because I was still writing my tests in a classicist style.

This book helped open my eyes to how the "mockist" style really works, and why it can be a good thing. I absolutely recommend it to any programmer who is doing TDD (or writing unit tests), but who still feels like when it comes to being a mockist, they just don't get it.

I also think a great complement to the book is the video of J. B. Rainsberger's presentation Integration Tests Are A Scam.

As a note on how to read the book, I got a bit bogged down in the middle section, with the worked example. I ended up skipping to the final section and came back to the middle after. Reading it like that worked just fine. I also think it could be interesting to alternate chapters of the middle section with those of the final section.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests.