Emily's Reviews > Against the Gods: The Remarkable Story of Risk

Against the Gods by Peter L. Bernstein

Mar 27, 10

bookshelves: half-read-paused
Read in January, 2010

Bernstein describes the history in a very readable manner, with stories behind the mathematicians to make them seem like real people (though I've already blurred them into one). The book starts with numbers and how they moved from roman numerals to our modern numbering system. I was amazed at the very recent transitions to using the plus and minus symbols in math. He transitions to more theory very easily with no loss of readability. He even touches on theories about why some people who were so close to a revelation didn't quite get there.

I was reading this book to learn about market risk and am three quarters through and we have yet to get to modern times. It's not what I expected, but I've enjoyed it.

I'd recommend the book for those interested in the history behind numbers and math (not the actual complex theories). Would highly recommend for anyone in college studying science/math/engineering because it is a refreshing review of high school level theories and some fun history you can impress your friends and teachers with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Against the Gods.