Tamara's Reviews > This Green House: Home Improvements for the Eco-Smart, the Thrifty, and the Do-It-Yourselfer

This Green House by Joshua Piven

Jan 09, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: green, non-fiction
Read in January, 2010

Props to this book for being funny and creative. The illustrations are priceless. I'll probably take up the suggestion to use the bottom of soda bottles as plant starters.

Suggestions that made me laugh, but also made sense:
Use your cable box to warm towels (to make use of the heat generated from this inefficient device)
Make a body squeegee (to replace the need for washing bath towels)
Make a toilet sink (to make use of gray water)

Suggestions I will probably never pursue:
Set your body clock instead of an alarm clock
Take a navy shower

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Green House.

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol Ha! Your review made me laugh. I do use my wash cloth as a body squeegee...a trick I learned camping and my ex taught me about Navy showers but I can't during the winter;summer only. Gotta find this book at the library.

message 2: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca My body clock has never functioned. Also, I want to know, what is a Navy shower?

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol Navy shower. Turn the water on and get wet. Turn the water off and soap up. Turn the water on and rinse. The end.

Easy to do during the summer but agonizing during the winter.

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Aha! I did that in defense at Misha's parents' house in Serbia. There was a small hot water tank above the toilet, and if you weren't the first one up, there wasn't any left! A "Navy shower" was the only way to stand the cold water! But I'll comfort myself with the fact that I was also (if unwillingly) being Eco-Smart.