Valerie's Reviews > The Silver Blade

Mar 18, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction, male-protagonist
Recommended to Valerie by: Ginny
Read from February 13 to 21, 2011

I'm glad I read this even though I liked the first better. Very interesting, great writing, and certainly informative in the French Revolution aspect.

The book starts a couple of months after the first ended. Yann and his crew are helping people escape France. Sido and Yann are in love still and have sent letters to each other though it is dangerous.

I believe that the villain in this one is scarier, a plus point for me. I must say he is really really bad, and evil, and wicked. I mean literally, his lair is made up of bones human bones. It is mentioned quite a few times. Also his motto is "Have no mercy, show no mercy." Not exactly original and a bit of overkill. There are a few other things that I felt were emphasized more than they should have and just gone on with the plot. Kind of like a joke that had a good punch-line but then the comedian just kept adding on to it when it really would've been better if they just bowed out with everyone laughing. That was mostly what I had a problem with about the book.

I liked that this had more action and suspense. Lots of tension on Yann's side of the story. Sido doesn't play as big of a role as I hoped she would, but Yann's side of the story is more interesting most of the time anyways. That is until he starts getting really all melodramatic and mournful. The point of view is switched between quite a few characters. I forgot if this happened in the first but I'm thinking it did.

Not as great as I was hoping but honestly not a bad read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silver Blade.

02/17/2011 page 39
02/21/2011 page 312
85.0% "So the climax is mostly over."
show 3 hidden updates…