Angie's Reviews > Honolulu

Honolulu by Alan Brennert

Jan 11, 10

Read on January 11, 2010

The writing captivated me from the start. I'm about 1/2 way through the book right now and am about ready to put it down. It's reading more like a memoir of this character's life. The format is chronological which for a life time of story to tell is proving to be tedious and boring. We'll see in the next few days if I'm up for finishing it. Who knows? It may redeem itself.

Ok-2 days of being sick and either bed or couch bound provided me with ample opportunity to finish this long tale in such a short time. The story line did pick up and was quite enjoyable for a time. There was one part I thought could be shared in less detail and did take a little away from the story while I was reading it. I guess it worked out in the end with the themes of the novel. I really wanted to get back to the main character and less about her friend and his issues.

Overall it was an interesting read about hawaii in the early 1900s, the Korean way of life and how living in America changed those Koreans (mostly for the better), and racism towards Asian people. Not one I'd purchase for my own collection, but still a worthwhile read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Honolulu.