Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Go To Sleep, Groundhog!

Go To Sleep, Groundhog! by Judy Cox

Jan 09, 10

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, picture-books, reviewed, gr-a
Recommended for: 2/2 Groundhog day reading, or anytime; ages 3 or 4 to 8, last page info probably 5 or 6 & up
Read in January, 2010

Oh, I thoroughly enjoyed this story and really loved the illustrations. I also liked the “About Groundhog Day” informational page at the end of the book. It gives information about both Groundhog Day and groundhogs, and makes clear that groundhogs can’t really predict the weather.

Groundhog and his sidekick mouse, and all the other animal characters and other characters (a witch and Santa Claus) are just so endearing.

Groundhogs hibernate from around October to around February 2nd, but this groundhog, despite his “warm cozy” bed and lovely surroundings, cannot stay asleep. Groundhog keeps waking up and going outside and sees the sights of Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, all while he should be in bed asleep.

Both the story and illustrations are full of amusing and interesting details. I particularly liked all the snacks and all the bedtime stories groundhog gets throughout the book.

I’d never thought to read Groundhog Day stories even though I know someone who was born on Groundhog Day. Then, I saw a list of Groundhog Day books in the Children’s Book Group and this is one of the books on that list. It’s a winner, in my opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Go To Sleep, Groundhog!.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kathryn Yay, looks adorable! I, too, never thought to include Groundhog Day in my "holiday picture book" reads but decided to do so this year so this is a wonderful coincidence. Thanks!

Lisa Vegan I haven't much liked most of them. This one was the best I've read, so far.

Kathryn I, too, loved the parts with the bedtime stories :-) Thanks for bringing this gem to my attention!

Lisa Vegan Kathryn, Oh, I'm glad you liked it!