Buggy's Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Jul 09, 11

bookshelves: ya, end-of-days, rom-susp, shelf-10, war
Read from March 13 to 24, 2010 — I own a copy

Opening Line:"I clasp the flask between my hands even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air."

At the conclusion of CATCHING FIRE two words entered my head “Wow” and “Really!?” Then I caught my breath, checked my heart and re-read the final chapter because I’d been so engrossed in finding out how Suzanne Collins was going to end this unpredictable ride that I’d really only scanned the words the first time through. Not many books have the ability to leave me breathless and on that note not many books surprise me anymore either. Catching Fire managed to do both and what a fantastic time I had.

Starting soon after Katniss’s victory in the Hunger Games we re-join her back in district 12. Now a reluctant celebrity of sorts Katniss no longer has to worry about money or feeding her family however things are far from perfect. At odds with both Gale and Peeta there is unrest and change brewing in Panem, old rules are being reinforced amid rampant rumours of a rebellion against the capital. A revolt Katniss and Peeta may have unwittingly started but are certainly being accredited for. As the pair make plans for the upcoming Victory Tour and the 75th anniversary of the Hunger Games a visit from President Snow contains a grave warning, forcing Katniss to publicly reaffirm her love for Peeta as well as trying to find a way to stop the desired but deadly and growing civil unrest.

Of course this is just the first half of the book (and the boring half too) Once the President decides on his form of revenge you simply won’t believe what happens and then you won’t be able to put the book down. I wondered how Collins was going to be able to trump the excitement of The Hunger Games, well she does ten-fold and I never knew what was going to happen next. Full of surprises, innovative themes and fantastical creatures, we also get violence, heartbreak, page tearing suspense and a healthy dose of politics. The pace never lets up, making up for the weak and wandering part 1 where I felt like Collins was never really sure of where to take her story, giving us one possible direction before heading off in another. Silly me this was undoubtedly her intention all along letting me think I knew where she was going before she finally gives us…Wow.

Events have now been set up brilliantly for the third and final instalment; Mockingjaydue Aug 2010 and I can’t wait. Cheers
13 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.

03/15/2010 page 58
14.83% "If I want to keep those I love alive, and stay alive myself. I'll have to marry..."
03/22/2010 page 174
44.5% "Ooooh, I did not see that coming! Happy 75th anniversary of the Hunger Games" 3 comments
03/23/2010 page 318
81.33% "Holy crap...killer fog and then savage attacking monkeys whats next??"
03/24/2010 "WOW!"
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Mahlet (last edited May 16, 2010 10:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mahlet Great review! I can't wait for Mocking Jay either! Going into Catching Fire, I didn't think she could top Hunger Games, but she just blew me away. I've turned a 12 year old girl, a 23 year old guy, and several 30-something women on to the series. And every one of them loved it and is just dying for the conclusion this August. My local library has even went so far as to dedicate the entire YEAR to Hunger Games - discussion groups around town; simulated games; dressing up as characters...it's part of their program to select one book each year to bridge the gap between YA readers and adult readers. So - will it be Peeta, Gale, or neither one? Do you have a preference?

Buggy Ooh Good question! I'm also not a YA reader (not for a while now) and I only read the Hunger Games because so many people recommended it to me. But I was blown away, I loved the uniqueness of the story. I think I compared parts of it to Stephen Kings The Long Walk and a fatalistic version of TVs Survivor.

Back to the question: Of course I like Peeta he's the right choice, The Jacob of the triangle and of course not the one she wants. Leaving Gale as the Edward and ultimately the one I think she will choose. It should be interesting though, the two of them going to rescue Peeta. We don't actually know much about Gale yet, I'm very curious.

Mahlet This story's fresh in your mind...do you remember a moment in Catching Fire where she kisses Peeta, and she's really affected by it, in a good way...and basically thinks something along the lines of "I didn't feel this way when I kissed Gale"?

message 4: by DarienMoya (new)

DarienMoya Ok so I gotta bloody read this hunger games series, I have been avoiding it and now I am sold.

Its weird because I read some YA but for some reason I kept away from this book. I loved the Long Walk by Stephen King, so I have to read this. Adding it right now.

Buggy I do remember that scene Mahlet, I think that was the first kiss that she ever felt anything for anyone. Its very Edward/Jacob/Bella. Bella liked kissing Jake too but she wanted Eddie. I think Katniss has feeling for both of them, at this point she knows Peeta better than Gale.

D you will really like this and quickly forget the YA attached to it. Except of course for the lack of sex and swearing, but its not needed here, this is a roller coaster ride.

Ronyell Awesome review Buggy! I can't wait for Mockingjay either!

Buggy Thanks Ronyell, enjoy!

Ronyell You're welcome Buggy! Just posted my review up for this book!

Buggy I'll check it out