Rhi's Reviews > Gregor the Overlander

Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins

Oct 17, 2011

bookshelves: books-for-children, fantasy-sci-fi, 2011, ya-you-have-my-heart, 4-stars
Read in October, 2011

Probably, like many, I picked this up purely on the basis of how brilliant The Hunger Games is. But I wasn't disappointed.

Sure, it's not as polished or detailed as the aforementioned trilogy - but I don't think it is supposed to be. This is aimed at an entirely younger audience.

I will admit to having no idea how SC was going to pull off a narrative involving a 2 year old girl, but somehow she did! Boots is entirely charming, loveable, and not in the least bit annoying.
The same could be said for Gregor. He could easily have fallen into 'unwilling hero syndrome' for me. Where he stomps around trying to persuade himself and others that he isn't up to the task at hand. But he really didn't. He was loyal, brave, and I found him very readable.

Collins clearly has a fascination with war and death and the depiction of these two things within children's/YA fiction. It will be interesting to see where this series leads, how the after effects of such violent incidents are dealt with, and how the characters grow.

I would recommend this as a fun easy read for adults and children alike.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gregor the Overlander.