Lydia Presley's Reviews > The Welsh Girl

The Welsh Girl by Peter Ho Davies

Jan 10, 10

bookshelves: 2010, fiction, germany, historic-fiction
Read in January, 2010

The Welsh Girl is a story in three parts. There's the story of Rotheram, the German-Jew who escaped from Germany to England and is now placed in charge of the interrogation of Hess. There's also the story of Karsten, a young 18 year old German officer who surrenders to the British and is taken to a POW camp in Northern Wales. And then, there's Esther - a 17 year old Welsh barmaid who lives in the sleepy Welsh town the POW camp has been built in.

The book is beautifully written. The descriptions are vivid and the dialog is interesting. Each character was fascinating, there just wasn't enough to each of them..which takes me to what I did not like about the book.

It was too short to truly tell each persons story. Rotheram was used as more of a tool to give historical background and narrate the story of Esteher and Karsten. Because he was in the book, however, Esther and Karsten's story was cut short and we were only given snippets of what happened in the "ever after".

Overall, a more tragic story then I was expecting.. but not all books have a happily ever after.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Welsh Girl.