Whitney's Reviews > And the Ass Saw the Angel

And the Ass Saw the Angel by Nick Cave

Jan 30, 10

Read in January, 2010

If Gabriel Garcia Marquez got knocked up by William Faulkner and birthed a deranged novel that was kept locked up in the basement and beaten daily, it would be 'And The Ass Saw The Angel.'

I don't normally write reviews, but this book keeps tumbling around in my mind like shoes in a dryer. I read a review on here that said (and I'm paraphrasing) that immediately after finishing the book, the reviewer wanted to 're-read it armed with a battle axe.' That, I think, is most appropriate given the feelings left with after this book.

So, I had originally intended to talk about the book, discuss interpretations and whatnot, what was made meaningful and all that garbage, but I won't. I will NOT. I will make you work for it, because I had to. And I appreciate it more that way.

However, for future readers experiencing trouble, I have this advice: Let Cave's overwrought, but insidiously beautiful words, and the snarling insanity wash over you, holding onto the word "mirror" like a life raft, and you just might make it to the end of the novel and be better for it.

There. That's all you're gettin'.
23 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And the Ass Saw the Angel.

01/13/2010 page 62