Amy's Reviews > God Never Blinks: 50 Lessons for Life's Little Detours

God Never Blinks by Regina Brett

Jun 02, 10

bookshelves: inspirational, nonfiction
Read in June, 2010

This is a fantastic read!

From this book, it is easy to see why Cleveland Plain Dealer Columnist, Regina Brett, has been a Pulitzer Prize finalist (for Commentary) 2 years running.

The subtitle for this book is 50 Lessons for Life's Little Detours and there is an introduction at the beginning of this book that explains where these 50 lessons come from. Some will make you laugh, while others will make you cry. Some will make you sit up and take notice of yourself, while others will remind you of friends and family.

The lessons themselves are important and sometimes educational -- the stories behind the lessons are poignant.

I highly recommend this book for EVERYONE!

Some of the lessons that struck a chord with me were:

#3 Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.

#4 Don't take life so seriously. No one else does.

#7 Cry with someone. It's more healing than crying alone. I'm glad there's someone out there like me. I'm an easy mark -- I cry at Hallmark commercials.

#12 It's okay to let your children see you cry. It doesn't make you weak, it makes you human.

#15 Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks.

#18 A writer is someone who writes. If you want to be a writer, write! I don't, but I have friends who do. I like being a reader.

#19 It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.

#20 When it comes to going after what you want in life, don't take no for an answer. I still have to work on this one.

#34 God loves you because of who god is, not because of anything you did or didn't do. I was raised in the Methodist church and went to church regularly growing up -- not so much now, but that doesn't mean that I don't believe in God. I saw this a couple of years ago and I firmly believe that ... Going to church does not make you a Christian anymore than going to the garage makes you a car.

#41 Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of now.

#45 The best is yet to come.

#47 Breathe. It calms the mind.

#49 Yield.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God Never Blinks.