Amanda Cook's Reviews > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Jan 09, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: book-club
Read in December, 2009

I concede this was a very well written book with a very twisted, page-turning type of mystery. From there, I'm not so sure how I felt after I finished it. The ending was abrupt and left me hanging. However it is the first in a trilogy, so maybe the next book continues from where this one left off. The issues tackled in the book are dark and disturbing, and once the main mystery was solved, I wondered if I'd actually pick the book back up to finish it. Maybe it was because some of it hit a little too close to home. The fact that it was set in Sweden made it difficult for me to relate to the setting and, sometimes, the characters. I guess I couldn't get past some of the cultural nuances/references, which made me sad, since I have some Swedish lineage. A very technical book in many ways, I think I would have enjoyed it more if some things had been edited out before publication (which was impossible, since the trilogy was published posthumously). In some ways, I understand why this book became so popular. In others, not so much.