Melissa's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

May 28, 14

bookshelves: challenge-winter09, historical-fiction, romantic
Read in January, 2010

I was a little leery of this book as the surrounding hype keeps growing; but I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed it very much. It reminded me a lot of 84 Charing Cross Road, in that it is an epistolary book set in post-WWII Britain; I thought the end was more satisfying, but perhaps that is because this book is fiction. It is not a deep or thought-provoking book, but a delightful diversion, well-written and for the most part believable. Shaffer did a great job capturing her characters' different voices and the society in Guernsey. As a romance it is sweet and uncomplicated; as a historical novel it has the ring of authenticity. The only issue I would take with this book are the couple of instances of short rapid communication, which come across a bit like email. It's a little difficult for me to believe that some of these playful 'conversations' took place in writing, presumably via messenger? But this is infrequent enough that I can forgive easily.