Kate McCartney's Reviews > The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

Oct 29, 2007

bookshelves: teen-fiction
Read in January, 2008

Wow, wow, wow. I hadn't given this book much thought since I first started hearing about it. I knew that a lot of readers out there thought it would be a contender for the Printz, so as a librarian specializing in teen services I thought I should read it. I can't think of any other book I have read this year that was so moving, so heart breaking, so funny and so full of hope. I haven't read all the new books this year, but I think this one deserve some serious recognition.

Arnold (Junior) is a teen who knows he needs seek his future because if he doesn't go looking for it he won't have one. This book makes us see a part of country, our history that he ignore that we pretend doesn't exist, the reservation system. Even in all the pain and brokenness that Alexie describes as he tells us about the "rez" he shows the beauty and strength in people who live together, who share a common past and a common present.

04/28/2016 marked as: read

Angie nice review! One of my very favorites this year! Sherman Alexie is awesome!

Jane I loved the book, too. How you begin your review -- "wow, wow, wow" -- is perfect!