Jenny's Reviews > Belle: A Retelling of "Beauty and the Beast"

Belle by Cameron Dokey

Jan 10, 10

bookshelves: books-girls-would-enjoy, fantasy, young-adult-teen, series, romance
Read in January, 2010

This is another book in the clever "Once Upon a Time" series. I like the series because of the way the authors take the fairy tales and give them a "real" retelling.

This one is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast.
Things I liked..

1) The characters are well written and interesting.

2) Emotions run high throughout the book.

3) The author easily captures the way in which girls (especially teens) tend to not see themselves clearly, especially their beauty.

Things I didn't like...
1) It takes 2/3 of the book just to set up the actual "Beauty and the Beast" part of the story. It was sort of interesting but just dragged out way too long. The real story was pretty much the last 70 pages of the book.

2) Belle's obsession with herself and whether or not she was Beautiful (with a capital B) got a little old.

3) I would have liked to have had a more in depth explanation of the Beast's story, where the manor came from, and how the enchantments worked, etc..but again with only 70 pages left...

Overall, an interesting story, better than some, but not my favorite of the series (That would be Water Song...)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Belle.