Shannon Stults's Reviews > Catch 22

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

May 28, 11

bookshelves: classics, borrowed-from-laura, 2011
Read from May 22 to 28, 2011

In all the reviews I've read, they basically told me that you will either love or hate this book. I'm glad that it turned out to be the first one for me; it made this very long book totally worth it. It always feels good to be able to say that you've read one of those great books that everyone has heard of but no one you know has actually read, and it feels even better when you can say that you liked it. The first day I sat down with it, I couldn't not make myself focus. I'd decided not to read it and pick something else, but I hate turning away from a book once I've started (even if I hadn't made it past page two. So I tried again a few days later with a clearer head, and I was immediately sucked in. Heller has my kind of humor written all through this thing. I can understand it being hard to follow and I was only able to understand the timing based on how many missions the soldiers had to do. :)

I think one of the best things about this book for me is that it really makes you question sanity. The only thing Yossarian wanted was to be termed crazy so that he could go home, but of course he can't actually tell a doctor he's crazy and wants to go home because that would make him sane. The book seems to start out observing Yossarian's "insanity," but it leads into this bigger picture of questioning everyone else's sanity! In the end, I think the only true sane character in the entire novel, and the entire war for that matter, was Yossarian!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catch 22.

Quotes Shannon Liked

Joseph Heller
“He was going to live forever, or die in the attempt.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22