Donna's Reviews > Impact

Jan 08, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: library, thriller
Read in January, 2010

An ex-CIA operative is sent to a mysterious mine, while a young woman hunts for a meteorite and a scientist is discouraged from following up on his murdered mentor's research. Their stories relate in a way that reveals an unprecedented threat to the earth. This is a fast, light read that should appeal to those who like thrillers with some science thrown in.

I really enjoyed the setting descriptions and Ford's investigation, but the characters were thin and some aspects of the pacing seemed off. For example, Abbey sees the streak in the sky and it feels like she goes off to find the meteorite fairly quickly, but some time must have passed in order for the Cambodian mine to have been operating long enough for the gems to come to official attention. At one point an escaped prisoner mentions that working in the mine harmed her eyesight, how long did that take?

At least one of the action sequences felt awkward and unnecessary, as if it was largely an excuse to help bring Abbey to Ford's attention. And the most interesting, unique aspect of the entire story got barely any attention, other than a bit of scientific chatter about the phenomenon. I think that the author lost a great opportunity to focus more on the reaction of both the characters and the world to what was happening.

Somehow the ending managed to feel interesting and anti-climactic at the same time. I would have liked it better if one character had, earlier in the book, shown much interest in the naval warfare their decision referenced, because it seemed to come completely out of left field.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Impact.

Jared I agree with your comments.