Lynda's Reviews > Little Bee

Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Jan 19, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010, fiction
Read in January, 2010, read count: 1

Little Bee is the story of two women who meet under extraordinary circumstances and become forever tangled in each other's lives, in very unexpected ways.

Little Bee is a beautiful character; I cared for her right away. She is insightful, frank, and funny when you least expect it. I loved the parts of the story narrated by Little Bee, simply because of the unique way she looks at the world.

I found Sarah significantly less likeable; she was very self-centered and disconnected from the people around her. Her character voice annoyed me. While I was interested in the story that she was telling, I never truly cared for HER, not even in the much anticipated "beach scene".

I liked the first half of the book a great deal better than the second half. It seemed truer and more heartfelt, while the second half seemed weaker and less deliberate. I can't pretend that the end didn't disappoint me; I was expecting more.

And now we have come to the part of the review in which I must lament the hype surrounding this book. The publisher went to quite a lot of trouble to shroud the plot in mystery, and hinted at a shocking and tragic incident which takes place on a beach in Nigeria. The reader is made to feel like something SO shocking and SO horrific happens on this beach, that by the time you actually get to that part of the story, it is completely underwhelming. Had nothing been mentioned about this scene, had I not been expecting something perfectly insane, I would have been more moved by the incident in question. If it had not been built up to impossible heights, it would have had more of an impact. Instead, I was disappointed and a bit confused; what happens didn't seem very realistic to me.

Overall, I liked this book but didn't love it. I thought Little Bee was a beautiful character with an important message, but the rest of the cast didn't quite hold up their share of the load.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Bee.

01/16/2010 page 200