Lolly's Library's Reviews > The Doctor Trap (Doctor Who

The Doctor Trap (Doctor Who by Simon Messingham

Nov 23, 10

bookshelves: media-tie-in, science-fiction
Read in January, 2010

This is my first entry into the Doctor Who novelization universe and I chose this title because Donna is my favorite of the Doctor's companions. I have to say, I was rather disappointed with the book. The story is twisty, turny, and confusing, only working itself out towards the end, which isn't necessarily bad, but there seemed to be little point to the whole thing. To me, it was as though the author was boasting, "Look at how confusing I can make this plot!" without any real effort made to draw the reader in through drama or empathy. My main problem was the characterization of both the Doctor and Donna. Missing was the Doctor's trademark sparkle and energy, as embodied on the show most skillfully by David Tennant; only occasionally did I see glimpses of it in the book and even then it felt flat, the merest sketch of the Doctor's true character. In the book, Donna, that wonderful, acerbic, pragmatic person as portrayed by the talented Catherine Tate, is instead shown as a whiny and rather abusive dullard; certainly not the Donna I know. I have to wonder if the author has even watched the show about which he's writing. I'm not giving up on the Doctor Who novelizations. I just hope the other authors are better at capturing the show's universe than Mr. Simon Messingham.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Doctor Trap (Doctor Who.