Julia's Reviews > The Sex Lives of Cannibals: Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific

The Sex Lives of Cannibals by J. Maarten Troost

Jan 08, 2010

bookshelves: non-fiction, memoir
Read in January, 2010

I have a bad habit of borrowing books from my best friend, Andrea, and then never reading them. And then keeping them on my shelf for the next three years. So I decided to break that streak with The Sex Lives of Cannibals, which Andrea graciously lent to me over Christmas break. It's the sort of book that's a perfect filler in between bigger or tougher books, when you need something fast and amusing to clear your head. Troost was a 20-something college grad, temping in DC without any real direction, when he decided to move to the Equatorial Pacific with his girlfriend, Sylvia. There, on a tiny island, he encounters everything from sharks to La Macarana.

Troost is especially great when describing his interactions with the island residents; it's the perfect mix of "Why the hell are you so much less developed than the rest of the world," and "You are a kind, funny people who survive in a part of the world that would destroy the typical American, and I respect that." This island is as much a paradise as a hell, but you can tell that Troost comes to consider it a home--and it makes you consider chucking the temp jobs and moving across the country to follow in his footsteps.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sex Lives of Cannibals.