Natalie 's Reviews > 600 Hours of Edward

600 Hours of Edward by Craig Lancaster

Jan 30, 10

Read in January, 2010

Marking this one as one of my all time favorite reads! This book screams Oprah's Book Club pick, it is that awesome. I hope the author writes a continuation of Edward because I didn't want it to end!
Edward is 39 and he says he is not stupid, he's mentally ill and stupid he is not.
Edward has a daily routine; he wakes in the morning, usually between 7:37 to 7:40 and he'll tell you that he has waken at 7:37 15 times this year, 7:38 221 times and 7:39 22 times because he documents the time when he wakes up every morning. He also reads the newspaper a certain way and he documents the weather from the previous day.
Edward is a loner, he keeps to himself and doesn't talk to people if he doesn't have to but Edward decides after seeing the happy commercials about finding your soul mate to sign up to Montana Personal Connect. He tried EHarmony but they couldn't find anyone for him. This starts his "normal" life to twist and turn in a downhill spiral but the end was very sweet.
I'm not going to say any more because I would spoil it for you. You just have to read it!!

From the back of the book:

"Edward Stanton is a man hurtling headlong toward middle age. His mental illness has led him to be sequestered in his small house in a small city, where he keeps his distance from the outside world and the parents from whom he is largely estranged.
For the most part, Edward sticks to things he can count on... and things he can count. But over the course of 25 days (or 600 hours, as Edward prefers to look at it) several events puncture the walls Edward has built around himself.
In the end, he faces a choice: Open his life to experience and deal with the joys and heartaches that come with it, or remain behind his closed door, a solitary soul."

T. L Hines, author of Faces in the Fire and Waking Lazarus says:
" This is the rare book that stay with you long after you read the last page. With shades of Flowers for Algernon, author Craig Lancaster doesn't just give life to Edward Stanton's world; he gives life to the reader's world" ---- That really says it all, its so true!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 600 Hours of Edward.

01/08/2010 page 15
5.4% "I turn to face the clock and it reads 7:28. This is an oddity.Every day this year, I have awoken at 7:37, 7:38, 7:39 or 7:40....."
01/09/2010 page 149
53.6% ""I don't keep records on such things, but surely 9:12am is the earliest I've ever written a letter of complaint....""