Sarah's Reviews > My Jesus Year: A Rabbi's Son Wanders the Bible Belt in Search of His Own Faith

My Jesus Year by Benyamin Cohen

Jan 08, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 2010-reads
Read in February, 2010

This is why I should either not write reviews four months later, or read exclusively things that I think are so mind-blowingly amazing that I am sure I'll remember the mind-blow for at least a semester. So my review of this book, other than that it's surprisingly unmemorable for the story of an Orthodox Jew going to church a lot, is as follows:
I think I learned about a group of black Jews that is led by someone who calls himself a Prince and drives something blingy. They speak Hebrew and worship in a gospelly fashion. I believe there was also some kind of Manichaean Christian wrestling worship situation (this did not involve the black Jews, to their credit). Mr. Cohen was kind of irritating, as I recall, and not only because he's irrationally interested in (I think) Methodists. If you like the "I hate Orthodoxy," I suggest Foreskin's Lament instead; if it's the religious interest that draws you, try The Year of Living Biblically or that book about the Brown student that goes to Liberty University for a year.
I may have a memory problem unrelated to Mr. Cohen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Jesus Year.