Robert Beveridge's Reviews > Puzzle Island

Puzzle Island by Paul Adshead

Jan 27, 10

bookshelves: 2010-goal-list, finished, ohio-link
Read on January 21, 2010, read count: 1

Paul S. Adshead, Puzzle Island (Discovery Toys, 1990)

I'll start off my review saying I know a little something about puzzle books, but I know nothing about the way kids respond to them. My wife and I have a Where's Waldo knockoff book we keep in the car, and my daughter gets absorbed in it every time she gets in the back seat. This has been going on for six years, and my daughter is now fourteen. So anything I say about age-appropriateness or lack of interest in repeated readings would be silly. It is entirely possible that buying one copy of this book for your pre-teen will keep them happy well beyond high school. I don't have the data on that yet.

In any case, Puzzle Island is best categorized as an art book, really. Paul Adshead does these lovely paintings in which he hides animals (camouflaged as a tree trunk, or outlined by branches, or what have you), and then tasks his readers to find four of them in each picture. At the end of the book, you put everything together and solve the final mystery. I rated it based on the idea that one time through and you're done, but who knows? The pictures themselves are lovely. ***

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Puzzle Island.