Lori's Reviews > The Cave

The Cave by José Saramago

Jun 21, 08

bookshelves: fiction, fricken-awesome
Read in June, 2008

Ok, This is Saramago. How could I NOT give it 5 stars? I love this author. This is the 5th novel I have read of his, and I was really quite impressed with it.

Here we meet Cipriano Algor, a humble potter supplying the Center with his plates and mugs and water jugs. Poor in material things, but certainly not in spirit. I wanted so badly to be able to meet Cipriano, to sit beside him and listen to him talk while I ruffeled his dog Founds' ears. I wanted to ride beside him in the van as he delivered his wares to the Center. I wanted to help him fill that hollow and wonder what it would look like when we were dead and gone, and I wanted to be there, holding his hand when he entered the Cave, to see what he saw, and know what he knew.

Saramago has a way of pulling you into his stories and making you a part of what he is writing. Written in a very unique fashion, void of all normal punctuation, he weaves his haunting tales in such a simplistic way that no other author will ever be able to come close to reproducing.

Saramago is absolutely the greatest author I have ever read.
If you havent picked up one of his novels, You have no idea what you are missing.
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cave.