Jake's Reviews > From Hell

Feb 24, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: graphic-novels
Read in January, 2010

I have this patience problem with graphic novels. I keep finding myself racing through the word balloons and neglecting the artwork. So when I say I have now failed to love three Alan Moore graphic novels, I accept some of the blame.

That being said I have twice now enjoyed film adaptations of Alan Moore graphic novels more than the print versions they are based on. (From Hell and V for Vendetta). I find the films easier to follow and more efficiently constructed. Moore throws a lot of characters at you, not all of whom are especially important. He and his collaborators could afford to trim the stories a bit. I’m happy they do research and really work to deliver something complex and epic. Still, they could afford to snip here and there.

Unless you are a patient reader (see above), you may get halfway through and find yourself confused about what’s really going on. Such was my experience reading V for Vendetta and From Hell. Really got into the movies. Picked up the graphic novels and just never became engrossed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From Hell.

01/08/2010 page 320