Audrey's Reviews > A Blue and Gray Christmas

A Blue and Gray Christmas by Joan Medlicott

Jan 08, 2010

Read in December, 2009

3 1/2 stars, really.
It's hard for me to really know what to say about this book. On the one hand, the premise was wonderful and the story itself was intriguing and engaging. I found myself wrapped up in the lives of the Ladies of Covington as the read through the old Civil War letters and discovered new things about themselves and the world in the process.
The letters themselves were extremely well-written, and I really felt as if I was reading things from the points of view of these two Civil War soldiers - one a confederate soldier, one a Union soldier. Joan Medlicott did a great job of giving them separate, distinct voices.
On the other hand, there was something about this book that was only so-so for me. The writing and ideas all seemed kind-of scattered, and there were a couple back stories going on that seemed to have NOTHING to do with the main story. This could have been okay, but to me it felt unnecessary, as if she was just trying to make the book longer. It's entirely possible, though, that this is because I haven't read any of the other Covington Ladies novels, so I sort-of came into the middle of it all. That aside, it also seemed like nothing ever actually happened, and when the occasional thing did happen, we heard about it several times from several different people.
So, as you can see, I'm torn. I loved it, but at the time time, I only sort-of liked it. It's heasy to say, though, that it was a quick, enjoyable, easy read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Blue and Gray Christmas.

Porter I have to agree with Audrey. I haven't read any of the Ladies of Covington books so I didn't know Joan Medlicott's style. I started off loving the idea and about 2/3 of the way through I found the story falling apart into little short stories about the characters. I wondered if it would ever get back to the initial theme. It didn't help that the new copy I had was poorly edited and names were obviously wrong as well as some timelines. But come to think of it, that is also when the story started falling apart as well.