Maria Elmvang's Reviews > Obernewtyn

Oct 29, 2007

bookshelves: 4-stars, 2008, fantasy, not-owned
Recommended to Maria by: Shannon
Read in July, 2008

The first book in a series recommended to me by Shannon. I have to say I have great hopes for the sequels, because while it was very obvious that this was the first in a series, and a lot of time was therefore spent on setting the atmosphere and introducing the universe it was still very well written and captured my attention nicely. The main character reminded me a lot of some of Tamora Pierce's heroines personality-wise, and that's always a good thing :)

What I found most fascinating about this book is that it takes place in the future after some great nuclear disaster. As technology was the reason for the "Great White" all 'old fashioned' (to them) technology is now viewed as evil and dangerous and they have therefore gone back to a world of horse-carriages and magic rather than cars and medicine. Horse-carriages and magic seem standard in any fantasy book, but I liked this different take on it - that the characters kept referring back to things I recognise as belonging to 'the before-time'. Reminded me a lot of Rocco by Sherryl Jordan.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Obernewtyn.

Shannon (Giraffe Days) The sequels - Farseekers, Ashling, The Keeping Place, The Stone Key - get more and more involved and philosophical (without seeming to be philosophical, which I like :) and the story gets much more interesting. You're lucky that they're nearly all out - I had to wait years and years between books!

Though, I don't remember magic in these books. They're misfits, and could be burnt for being born different, but that's not magic either. What do you mean?

Maria Elmvang Unfortunately the libraries only have the first three. I've ordered the two next ones and will take it from there once I see what I think of those :)

Guess magic was the wrong word to use. Elspeth does mention finding books of "Black magic" that the council used instead of herb lore, but she sounds pretty certain that it doesn't work. I didn't know what else to call e.g. Elspeth's 'powers' though. It's not magic as we normally understand it, but it's not really natural either.

Shannon (Giraffe Days) It certainly seems to be a result of the disaster, but as you'll find in the later books, they discover evidence of misfits existing from before the Great White, which creates a new perspective on whether they're abominations or not.

Yes it's all mind powers etc, telepathy, empathy, coercion - this book started my fascination with such things, at a fantasy level anyway. I don't buy into "psychics" but I love the idea of such abilities :)

Maria Elmvang Same here! I don't give a donkey's kidney for so-called "psychics" in real life, but love reading about them in books :)