Josiah's Reviews > The Bellmaker

The Bellmaker by Brian Jacques

1914201
Jan 23, 2010

Read from January 18 to 23, 2010

This book is at the same time one of the singularly most beautiful stories I have ever read, and one of the most original and humorous.

I can't explain how author Brian Jacques is able to turn out bold, mysterious, resounding and completely wonderful stories every time he takes pen to page, but The Bellmaker easily rivals any of the other classics that he has created. The depth and shining beauty of the writing is unsurpassed in all of literature, in my opinion; it is romantic and entertaining and fearless, while also being tenderly sensitive to bring the powerful emotions behind the complex tale to the forefront for readers, who will lose some dear friends along the way while gaining memorable new ones, all fashioned in the inimitable style of Brian Jacques that marks him for sure as one of the greatest imaginative writers of our time. I could hardly think of another author to challenge him in this regard.

The story that is The Bellmaker is as multilayered and multifaceted as the best works of Brian Jacques, classics such as Redwall and Martin the Warrior. What is especially splendid about this novel is how it departs from the normal kind of happenings to this point in the Redwall series, surely leaving even the most astute observers of the famed abbey's history guessing as to how things will turn out in the end.

Personally, what stood out to me most of all about The Bellmaker is the searat Blaggut. Never to this point in the series had any animal typically classified by residents of Redwall as "vermin" been seen to have a truly good side, yet Brian Jacques was willing to break with that "tradition" of sorts to show us that every heart is different from those around oneself, and one never can tell what someone will do based on the actions of others that are perceived to be like him or her. Brian Jacques weaves this compelling and profound thread into the novel with perfect ease, and thus has created some of the most thought-provoking reading in any of his books.

The Bellmaker is a quest that will capture the imagination and take hold of the heart almost from page one to page three hundred thirty-six, surprising and delighting and sobering eager readers along every step on its path. I would give it my sincerest and most fervent recommendation.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bellmaker.

Quotes Josiah Liked

Brian Jacques
“Friend is a very small word,
A little sound we make,
For one who is true, one who will do,
Great deeds for friendship's sake.”
Brian Jacques, The Bellmaker

Brian Jacques
“A little (one) can sometimes see things in others that us older ones cannot because our judgement gets clouded.

—Abbot Saxtus”