Elizabeth's Reviews > The Little Guide to Your Well-Read Life: How to Get More Books in Your Life and More Life from Your Books

The Little Guide to Your Well-Read Life by Steve Leveen

Feb 02, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction-self-help
Read in December, 2009

Read this book to enrich all your reading experiences! The author, Steve Leveen, is the CEO of Levenger's (www.levenger.com) -- "Tools for Serious Readers" and also author of the blog called "The Well-Read Life" (http://blog.wellreadlife.com/), which I also recommend.

Leveen uses a warm, intelligent writing style to make this book come alive with thought-provoking and truly helpful tips and insights for getting more out of--and retaining more from--your reading. He includes making better reading choices and ways to become a more intentional reader.

One "Aha" for me was his conviction that you should have a great many books on your shelf that you have NOT read yet. He likened it to having a well-stocked pantry: when you get hungry, it's so satisfying to have some nice choices! He also supported giving yourself permission to stop reading a book that doesn't resonate. Life's too short to waste on a book that's not right for YOU.

He offered a lively discussion about "Footprint Leavers" and "Preservationists" (referring to those who like to write notes in their own books and those who don't). He is the former, but he doesn't pass judgment.

This book actually made me feel excitement and anticipation that I can only liken to those wonderful feelings as a child when I was waked up before dawn to get in the car and go on a trip...in this case, a trip to a more well-read life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Little Guide to Your Well-Read Life.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Persis (new)

Persis I think you need a Kindle. You and Johnny would love it!

message 2: by Ij (new) - added it

Ij Great review!!!

Elizabeth Ij wrote: "Great review!!!"

Thanks, Ij,

Unfortunately this little gem of a book is not being sold now through Levenger's now (the author's company), though I imagine you can get copies somewhere.