Boyd's Reviews > Lemonade Mouth

Lemonade Mouth by Mark Peter Hughes

Nov 02, 07

bookshelves: youngadulthighinterest
Read in November, 2007

The story of five uncool kids who spark a revolution at their high school through their music and uniting all the uncool misfits under the banner of their band, Lemonade Mouth is a fun read. Probably the most interesting aspect of the book, stylistically, is that the point of view switches from one person to the next, sometimes as a frenetic pace. At times this works, but sometimes it falls flat.

It seems like there is a whole subgenre of YA fiction out now that involves uncool kids finding themselves through music (King Dork, Fat Kid Rules the World, Heavy Metal and You, etc.) Lemonade Mouth stands out in that genre, in my opinion, because it's suitable for all readers. It seems that a lot of authors feel they must burrow into a world of drugs, profanity, and sex in order to capture the whole high school music "coolness" factor, but Lemonade Mouth remains relatively benign and sweet throughout.

I'd probably give this book 5 stars, except that it started out really, really slow for me. I'm not sure why, but it just didn't immediately grab my attention. That being said, about a quarter of the way through, things really picked up and I began to actually care about some of the characters. I may just be emotional right now from lack of sleep or something, but this book had some very touching moments that actually brought some tears to my eyes.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lemonade Mouth.

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol Boyd, thanks for all your reviews in your "youngadulthighinterest" shelf. As a mother of a 13 year old (reluctant reader) boy, I really have a hard time finding books he'll be interested in reading but that don't expose him to so much sex - violence and swearing it's too late to worry about. Because we live overseas, I buy a lot of books from Amazon and hate spending money on a book he won't read! I'm going to give this one a try for him.