Stephanie's Reviews > Just Listen

Just Listen by Sarah Dessen

Feb 28, 2011

bookshelves: best-books-ever, musical-books

Just Listen is one of my favorite books hands down. I could read it again and again. Annabel Greene has had the farthest thing from a perfect life. Her sister Whitney has an eating disorder and the household seems to center around her needs. Her other sister Kirsten is away at Collage. Annabel is the only one left out of her two sisters that still models. She wants to quit, but doesn't have the heart to tell her mother. On the outside you could say she has “a great life.” But Annabel is hiding something from her family and the rest of the world. Her family has no idea that Annabel is hording a horrible secret. She seems fine to them and they have a lot on their plate with Whitney. Annabel has pushed away her problem into a small corner of her mind and she doesn't want to face it head-on, then she meets Owen. Owen changes everything. He loves music and always tells the truth. He sees Annabel differently then she sees herself. After a fight with Owen Annabelle finally hears her heart. “I understood now. This voice, the one that had been trying to get my attention all this time, calling out to me, begging me to hear it—it wasn't Will's. It was mine “
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just Listen.

Quotes Stephanie Liked

Sarah Dessen
“There comes a time when the world gets quiet and the only thing left is your own heart. So you'd better learn the sound of it. Otherwise you'll never understand what it's saying.”

Sarah Dessen
“Music is a total constant. That's why we have such a strong visceral connection to it, you know? Because a song can take you back instantly to a moment, or a place, or even a person. No matter what else has changed in your or the world, that one song says the same, just like that moment.”

Sarah Dessen
“Silence is so freaking loud”