UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva's Reviews > It Happened One Autumn

It Happened One Autumn by Lisa Kleypas

Jul 22, 10

bookshelves: historical, author-lisa-kleypas, 2010-reads, own-have-read, 5-stars, series-wallflowers-kleypas, reviewed-by-me
Read from January 11 to 13, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Wow! Another fun installment of The Wallflowers series.

I love the way Lisa Kleypas developes her characters. Subtly, without pages and pages of narrative descriptives. We learn about them by seeing them in action, or through the eyes of others.

It was such a joy to watch Marcus, Lord Westcliff, put aside the bitterness of his childhood, the will of his mother and the demands of his title and just allow himself to experience the emotions which, despite his best efforts, were awakened by Lillian Bowman.

And it was also a joy to watch Lillian put aside her own preconceived notions of Marcus, the man, and allow herself to accept her feelings of love for him, and accept his love for her as well.

Marcus and Lillian are fabulous together. When they get together they bring out the worst in each other, but they also bring out the best in one another.

OK, I just want to say that there are 2 scenes that stand out in my mind and both made me laugh. I won't go into detail so as not to ruin it for anyone who hasn't read this... but who didn't laugh at baked calf's head and dingy dipper butterflies? Don't deny it, if you've read this book, you laughed. And the other scene was where Annabelle, having come down to breakfast with dark circles under her eyes and looking as though she hadn't slept at all during the night (because she hadn't) was trying to delicately explain to Lillian, Evie and Daisy the effect that a certain perfume had had on Simon, her husband, who needed no potion to influence or increase his sexual... virility.

And it would be shameful if I didn't mention that there are some very steamy sexual encounters that were... how can I put this... steamy. I may never look at pears the same way again. *sigh*

Well, needless to say, while I enjoyed Secrets of a Summer Night , It Happened One Autumn has made me a Lisa Kleypas fan!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It Happened One Autumn.

Quotes UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Liked

Lisa Kleypas
“There is nothing on earth more beautiful to me than your smile...no sound sweeter than your laughter...no pleasure greater than holding you in my arms. I realized today that I could never live without you, stubborn little hellion that you are. In this life and the next, you’re my only hope of happiness. Tell me, Lillian, dearest love...how can you have reached so far inside my heart?”
Lisa Kleypas, It Happened One Autumn

01/12/2010 page 59
15.45% "WOW! What a stolen moment, hiding in the garden...being kissed, passionately, by Westcliff. I should be so lucky."

Cheryl Oh I LOVE this one! Lord Westcliff being brought to his knees by the woman he hates! I love him!

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Cheryl wrote: "Oh I LOVE this one! Lord Westcliff being brought to his knees by the woman he hates! I love him!"

*giggles* I am really looking forward to this one. My daughter says her favorite is 3, Devil in Winter, Evie's story. Have you read that one? And what did you think of book 1. I wasn't disappointed, but I wasn't jumping up and down clapping and shouting "bravo!"

Cheryl I liked the first book because it was part of the series. I didn't not like it though. It was a good introduction to the Wallflowers, so I agree with how you felt! I liked Devil in Winter, but I was so afraid that St. Vincent was going to hurt Evie, but boy did she surprise me! She turned the tables on him! My favorite is definitely It Happened One Autumn. As a series I loved them all, but individually this was my favorite, with Wallflower Christmas coming in close to 2nd!

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Have you read Again The Magic ? My daughter read it today and it's sort of a prequel to The Wallflowers. She really liked it.

Cheryl UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Have you read Again The Magic ? My daughter read it today and it's sort of a prequel to The Wallflowers. She really liked it."

yes I've read that! But I read it after I'd read the Wallflowers so it was neat to go back to Westcliff's early years! It was a good book too!

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva I was hoping it would be an easy book to go back in time with. Thanks for the information!

message 7: by Karen (last edited Jan 11, 2010 05:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen I just commented on Again the Magic on your other review...I read it after reading all of the Wallflower books as well because I didn't own it beforehand and I couldn't wait. I'm super jealous that you're reading these Lisa Kleypas novels for the first time. They're so wonderful!

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva LOL I feel like we're playing "thread tag" LOLOL

I'll read it at the end also.

message 9: by Danette (new)

Danette Steward Wait until the drunk scene. It's so....

Cheryl Danette wrote: "Wait until the drunk scene. It's so...."

Indeed!

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Drunk scene??? It's so... Indeed??? Argh!!! I need to read, read, read!!!

Cheryl UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Drunk scene??? It's so... Indeed??? Argh!!! I need to read, read, read!!!"

Oh yes, just wait until you get there! Westcliff, distraught with passion, Lillian, ... well, I shan't say anymore. You shall just have to read it! ;)

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Cheryl wrote: "UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Drunk scene??? It's so... Indeed??? Argh!!! I need to read, read, read!!!"

Can you give me the page number so I can take a little gander... ummm... just to make sure my copy has that scene in it? LOL

Cheryl UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Drunk scene??? It's so... Indeed??? Argh!!! I need to read, read, read!!!"

Oh yes, just wait until you get there! Westcliff, distraught with pa..."

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Cheryl wrote: "Very clever, but no! It won't be long until you get there! And it is worth the wait, don't cheat like I do so many times and look ahead!
..."

***SPOILER****ROFL... I already DID peak ahead and I was like "What the hell is St. Vincent doing kidnapping Lillian???"****END SPOILER****

That'll teach me!

message 16: by Danette (new)

Danette Steward Now, now don't go all hating on St. Vincent. You'll LOVE him in the next book.

Cheryl UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "Very clever, but no! It won't be long until you get there! And it is worth the wait, don't cheat like I do so many times and look ahead!
..."

***SPOILER****ROFL... I already DID..."

Hahaha! You are hilarious!! It's such a great book, isn't it?

Danette- In this book I was thinking St. Vincent was such a creep for doing that. And I have to admit that I didn't trust him very much in his book! Not until Evie turned the tables on him! ;)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I guess I like bad boys. I kept think, there's something about St. Vincent. I'm hopeless!

Cheryl Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I guess I like bad boys. I kept think, there's something about St. Vincent. I'm hopeless!"

Careful Danielle, you may end up getting one of these bad boys in real life! Then we shall all have to save you! Or maybe you won't want to be saved...

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Yeah, watch out Danielle. Although, we could form a rescue group called ... The NOT so Wallish Wallflowers.

OK, Pear infused Brandy? What a hottttt scene that was! I was **fanning myself** for sure.

Cheryl UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Yeah, watch out Danielle. Although, we could form a rescue group called ... The NOT so Wallish Wallflowers.

OK, Pear infused Brandy? What a hottttt scene that was! I was **fanning myself** for s..."

I'm so glad you finally got to that scene!! It was super hot!! Westcliff is such a hottie and the tension there was incredible!

Yes, we shall have to form a rescue group and have practice drills just in case Danielle gets kidnapped by a man like St. VIncent or Kylemore! Danielle, you need to come up with a signal for us to let us know if you need rescuing or if you are going to try to reform your bad boy!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I don't know. I think I like boring guys in real life. But my romance novel heroes, they are the scary type! I love the rescue idea though. :)

Cheryl You are so funny, Danielle!

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Cheryl wrote: "You are so funny, Danielle!"

She is a hoot and a half, isn't she?

Danielle, you just let us know... we are here for you, Sister.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, Sisters. Good to know I can call you in if I need a Bad Boy Intervention! I wish!

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Thanks, Sisters. Good to know I can call you in if I need a Bad Boy Intervention! I wish!"

Me too. Maybe we could find a Bad Boys 'R' Us?

Oh, I just finished this one.... ooooooooooh!!!!!

Cheryl UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Thanks, Sisters. Good to know I can call you in if I need a Bad Boy Intervention! I wish!"

Oh, I just fini..."

Oh, I'm so sad for you that you finished it! I loved spending time with Marcus and Lillian! The good news is that they are in several other LK books! Westcliff is in Again The Magic, Worth Any Price and they are both in the Hathaway's series! I haven't read too many other LK books to know if they show up any more than that.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Awesome, insightful review, Dhestiny. It makes me want to read this one again, and soon!

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva It's good to know I will see them again! I'll miss them.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Thanks, Sisters. Good to know I can call you in if I need a Bad Boy Intervention! I wish!"

Me too. Maybe we could find a Bad Boys 'R' Us?

--Maybe we can Google it. LOL!

Cheryl Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Thanks, Sisters. Good to know I can call you in if I need a Bad Boy Intervention! I wish!"

Me too. Maybe we could find a ..."

Hahahaha!

Linds I'm so glad you like Lisa Kleypas. I adore her, she has introduced me to my newish love of romance novels.

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Linds wrote: "I'm so glad you like Lisa Kleypas. I adore her, she has introduced me to my newish love of romance novels."

Thank you, yes... she is wonderful!

Cheryl Awesome review! It makes me want to go back and read it again soon! And I did laugh at those parts too! Oh, and a while back an email was sent to me asking different "how did they do that" type questions, and it asked about the pear growing in the bottle on the tree and I was able to answer it b/c of this book, of course then it got me thinking about what else happened in this part of the story...

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva AHHHH!! ROFL! Toooo funny Cheryl! I SWEAR, I'll never look at pears the same. And because of Wtath and The Black Dagger Brotherhood, I'll never look at peaches the same way!

Cheryl You've lost me, what is Wtath? And of course you know I've not read the BDB yet! Soon, though, soon!

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva ARGH! That should have said Wrath! I was laughing too hard to type clearly! Wrath is one of the Brothers, and their King. And the peaches... you'll just have to read for yourself.

Cheryl Oh I cannot wait! When my mother-in-law finishes I will get my hands on them!

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Cheryl wrote: "Oh I cannot wait! When my mother-in-law finishes I will get my hands on them!"

Oh, fun! To have someone to talk to about the books. No one here loves them like I do. Heck, no one else reads them.

Cheryl I am sure we will have the most fun talking about them, we always do!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Hey, I'm right there in the midst of the BDB addiction with you, Sister Mine!

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Hey, I'm right there in the midst of the BDB addiction with you, Sister Mine!"

***hugs*** Yes you are! I was referring to here at home. The more people on Good Reads I can visit with, the easier it is to make it to April 27th.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Oh, I know the feeling. Except my mom and sister, and one friend, all my BDB friends are online. I don't know that many readers, period.

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva There is NO ONE here. My daughter read a couple, but didn't get it like I do. LOL

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I guess I'm kind of lucky. My sister and mother and I chat about the books. We trade out books to read. My mom loves Sherrilyn Kenyon, JR Ward, Gena Showalter. I'm trying to get her into Christine Feehan and Kresley Cole. She did like Dark Needs at Night's Edge. She also liked the Demonica series. We're all big into PNR, and my mom likes urban fantasy like me. She also reads historical romance. I got her hooked on Lisa Kleypas. Aren't I an evil daughter?

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I guess I'm kind of lucky. My sister and mother and I chat about the books. We trade out books to read. My mom loves Sherrilyn Kenyon, JR Ward, Gena Showalter. I'm trying to get her into Christin..."

LOL! Naw, I bet you're a great daughter... in an evil kind of way ;)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) LOL! Well I make sure my sister and mom have a steady supply of books to read, in exchange for their tolerance of bookshelves everywhere in the house. :)

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "LOL! Well I make sure my sister and mom have a steady supply of books to read, in exchange for their tolerance of bookshelves everywhere in the house. :)"

I have 2 of those put together books shelves in my closet. One holds all my ALREADY READ books, the other my TO BE READ books. The TO BE READ one is soooooooooooooooooo much fuller than the ALREADY READ ONE. It's embarassing. Almost.

message 49: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Wow! Dhestiny you have totally made me want to reread this book again! I love all of the clever dialogue between Lillian and Marcus. Lisa Kleypas is about the only author I will go back and reread favorite parts. The Wallflowers are the best and I am so happy you liked this book!!!
Ally

Karen Great review! Glad you liked this one. :-)

« previous 1