Janet Richards's Reviews > Ender's Game

Jan 07, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: audible
Read in January, 2010

I started listening to this book while doing my daughter's hair. It's a two +hour process.

I was immediately drawn into the book, especially the insights into the little boy genius mind. It's hard to remember he is only six at the beginning, his thinkign is so mature, and when necessary brutal.

The brutality and violence is hard to take. But it gives you insight into how in some minds - anything is justified, even violence.

I immediatly disliked Peter, which always makes me suspicious. Why is he written so disagreeably. I guess I will find out as I read on.

I label this book a guilty pleasure. I think the underdog in me relates to little Ender - innocent, alone, in a tough situation. Against the world. It's hard not to like Ender.

It loses some stars because it does seem to justify the ends over the means. Hmmm Alienocide as a "good" thing. Hard to swallow. Yes, Ender sees the evil in it. But everyone else blissfully doesn't. This is a book for teens, but I would definately have a few discussions with my teen if s/he read it. It is morally troubling to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ender's Game.