Laura's Reviews > The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid

The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson

Nov 02, 07

bookshelves: audiobook, nonfiction, november2007, memoirs
Recommended for: anyone who loves sarcasm and making fun of stupid people
Read in October, 2007

This is pretty funny so far.

I have a slight complaint and question about the audio version though. The author is narrating, and doesn't speak the clearest. And it's odd that he says certain words the British way (like al-yoo-MIN-eeum foil), give that he grew up like Beaver Cleaver (ok, just figured out he spent 20 years in England!). Though there is always something appealing to me about the author narrating. Never a question that someone else is misunderstanding their meaning, where the emphasis should be, etc. And since this is a memoir and is his experience, it is quite funny to hear his sarcasm first hand.

Ok, it's funny because everyone talks about the dreamy 50's and how perfect that time was. Like the whole Leave it to Beaver thing. And if you weren't paying attention, you might think the author was doing the same thing. But oh no, dude's totally making fun of it. Now naive people were about the things that made the 50's so great. I'm dying over his description of TV dinners and TV trays, and the model airplane and toys in general part is hilarious. White Lincoln Logs :)

My initial excitement petered out. I opted to skip chapter 13, as that was just a little too honest for me. The first part was quite a bit funnier to me, then the novelty wore off. Still, it was worth my time and made me laugh quite a bit.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid.